Friday, April 10, 2009

I am sitting in my container/accommodation, the internationals here use both phrases and realised I have a web connection. So what do you know? I thought I would add a blurb on my day. Today we helped out at a double homicide just south of Abyei. Two maybe three days ago a couple of Messeriya men were reported missing from the Abyei market. Just a refresher.... the Messeriya are the nomadic arabs. Well today two bodies turned up in watering hole just south of town. We don't know the circumstances of the deaths or what lead up to them. The local police are investigating and we are maintaining our advisery role. The deaths could have some "implications" lets say. If they turn out to be who we think they are and the wrong people are respnsible it could ignite things around here. The word around is that if this had happened last year we would be into "it" already. Two Messeriya killed and dumped near a Dinka town could have turned into an all out fully armed conflict. So I am told.

I guess we will wait to see what happens. In the meantime we continue do what we are here for... mentoring.

The weather is still pretty hot no sign of the rain yet at least not in Abyei. There are clouds in the sky and two days ago I did see sign of rain, drops in the dust basically and it has rained to the north south and west of us. I saw a slideshow of vehicles on the road here in the rainy season. Wow! Rutts in the road you could lose an entire family in and I am not talking about a small western family. Wait until you see photos of that!

As far as my camping trip goes our contigent commander is coming to visit next week to have a look at the place and he wants to stay there for four nights. So most of next week I will in Agok and won't have my laptop with me. There is no office as you can tell by the photos I posted a couple days ago. I will let you know how that goes.

maAa salamma

4 comments:

  1. Hello And Happy Easter.......yes whatever. Your wife and the family made it to see everyone on Saturday and Sunday. We all laughed,played and ate a lot. It was a happy weekend.
    Keep up the good work, the eye on the back of your head open. I hear tones of brown are perfect decor additions for Container living:)
    ....know that we all miss you very much.
    Love Shar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a new word.
    maAa salamma.
    Bye for now?
    Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The television has informed me that Khartoum was the hottest place in the world last week! I don't suppose you will ever complain about the temperature at home again??! We hid a chocolate easter bunny for you to find when you get home...unless I get hungry in the meantime. You know about me and chocolate. Be a great mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh believe me there are tones everywhere on my clothes, shoes, face, inside my container but it is more redish and with the rain yes the rain is starting slowly it is getting a bit brownish.

    Christine I haven't had chocolate in a long time so thank you very for the extra encouragement to get home... not that I needed any, I miss home. The guys in Khartoum were saying that they were literally dripping with sweat in an airconditioned car last week, it's just incredible.

    Sharon i think i just spelt that word wrong it is the same one for good bye... sorry

    ReplyDelete