Friday, April 24, 2009

The Aftermath

The most sturdy structure on our base seems to be this tucul.
The truck was parked inside the tent that is to its rear before the tent got blown about 80 feet





This is our office. The pole to the left of the building is where it used to line up with.





The women's wahsroom behind our office flipped over on its side





This is the Indian Force Battalion (Ghurka Regiment)'s admin building lying on the Zambian TCC sleeping quarters





That's where the UNPD offices are supposed to be. You can the footings in the foreground just off the road.



This was a container that housed a UNDP office and it is supposed to be on the other side of the street





The exact samething appears to have happened to this building. It was much bigger and it landed on the sleeping quarters of the our Zambian TCC.






Same building as below




The red bricks in the foreground is where the building sat before it was blown off and flipped upside down and partially landed on a generator











6 comments:

  1. Hey Kirk thanks for all the photos covering some of the 10-15 minutes of doom in Agok. Pretty wild.

    ...so relieved no one was seriously injured and lives are in tack!!

    How did the natives fare through the tornado??

    maAa assalama
    ..wings of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not a tornado, it more like a huge thunderstorm, almost a hurrican, it hit our base in Abyei were I live, people were visibly shocken up by it in the town of Abyei but all their tuculs stood up to the winds, they do have a fair bit of temporary shelters made of straw and wood they didn't fair very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kirk, I haven't posted any comments yet, but wanted you to know I've been following you regularly. I hope you're well.
    Hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hans how are you? Good to hear from you and that you are following the blog. Everything is as well as can be here in Abyei. We are still trying to rebuild, after the big storm and keep ourselves busy. You take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kirk, I hope you don't mind but I've put the link to your blog on My Space (http://cracktroop.spaces.live.com/). Randy leaves in the morning for East Timor and will hopefully be blogging to that site from there. the storm souded harrowing to say the least, we are glad you are OK. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO problem Trina, wish Randy all the best for me and I will be checking out the crack... troops that is. Link it to whatever you want. the more the merrier right?

    ReplyDelete