Our little camping trip to Agok turned out to be not quite the adventure as I thought it would be instead it was a lot more fun, relaxing. Thursday started with my contingent commander and I getting our stuff together and leaving the base in Abyei at around 11:00 am. We pulled out of the base met up with a couple of the UNMO's (United Nation Military Observers) waiting in a convoy. I had heard that the Japanese ambassador was visiting Abyei and this just happened to his convoy to...of all places Agok.
We waited for all the commotion to die down, there were government looking types, Sudanese men in matching plain coloured short sleeve shirt and pants, there was a camera crew and a whole lot of security. The Zambian TCC (troop contributing country) is what we use for show of force and security in Abyei Sector VI. They are from the Zambian army and escort the UNMO's (UN military observers) around... they work for the UN. TCC rolls out in their two Toyota Landcruiser pickup trucks they are followed by a couple UN Nissan Patrol suv's and then the Landcruiser suv with the ambassador in it.
We are waiting at the back of the pack and suddenly two of the Sudanese government types jump into our vehicle. I guess the vehicle that brought them was full and so they were looking for an empty spot and we happen to be it. They didn't ask they just jumped in, but they seemed friendly enough. So hey... go with it.
As we proceeded towards Agok the sky ahead of us became increasingly dark and somewhat ominous. It looked like Agok was getting a dose of rain. On our way Don tried to offer up Wurthers candies to our Sudanese passengers but all we got out of them was a great big smile and an index finger towards the spectacle that was the sky in front of us and ... "rain".
We slowly (by North American standards) made our way towards Agok. Our government officials eventually succumbed to a second offering of Wurthers again with big smiles... friends for life!! I think there is a TV commercial in there somewhere. We made a quick stop at the site of what will be the new Agok TOB, which I am told is perfectly situated to be cut off from both Agok and Abyei when the real rain starts falling. The entourage disembarked and took a look and ten minutes later we were on our way again heading straight into what we expected, rain, don't forget big smile. they love the rain here.....???
After trying to land at the Agok airstrip the ambassador's helicopter had to return to Abyei due to the heavy rain and so did the convoy so he could get on it. Don and I did our duty at the Agok police station, and that is co-location or mentoring, community policing or community policing, getting in touch with their needs and GCVPPO (I think it means Gender Child Vulnerable Persons Protection Organization... I think) The UN is full of acronyms. Then we retired to the TOB and the photos above tell the rest of the story.
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Cool.
ReplyDeleteyummy Wherthers. Not melted.
And
Rain brought the bigger smile.
maAa assalama
Yes they love the start of the rainy season here. I guess after spending 6 - 7 months without it and I mean not even a trace of it, I would be smiling too. We will see who is smiling in a couple months when we are right smack in the middle of it.
ReplyDeleteWe had rain here yesterday, very cold strong wind as well.
ReplyDeletePlants and trees are starting to pop their leaves,daffodils and crocuses are up. As usual the hippity-hoppity bunnies from the forest out back are using my garden as their smorgosborg, eating everything down to the ground on the first sight of green. Those bunnies can become a tasty stew, I don't think they are aware of this fact.
Actually I wish there were bunnies here, then we would have a different variety of things to eat. It is pretty stark. There are thousands upon thousands of cows around but no one seems to really eat their meat. lots of chicken but not a lot of meat on them. Very little lamb, and some goat, would pass on the goat, really like the lamb but don't get enough of it, bunnies would add the variety, I here they are good eating.
ReplyDelete