Sunday, April 5, 2009

As you can tell I have a great internet connection. This is thanks to someone that knows a lot about computers and how the get into secure servers. Not me. Anyways hope you all enjoy, there are more to come if my luck with the web hold up.

As far as what I am going to be doing, my specific job has not been made totally clear to me yet. I am hoping to start out on the patrol part of things they call it co-locating with the national police. This will be very interesting. We have volunteered for a task as merely reporters. We observe the actions of the local police and ultimately report back to the international community on what we see. This is all we do we have no authority to do anything else. They have all the power. But we have the radios so there.

There has been a push to set up temporary operating bases in villages around the area and have them staffed by not just the military but by UNPOL as well. The first one that we are going to be going to is in a village called Agok south of Abyei. It is basically three tents surrounded by razor wire and some minor reinforcements. No a/c. We are going to be spending two nights and three days at these bases. This will be a test of not the UNPOLS, that's us,(it is hardly a test when you know the answers) We know what we think about it and we know we will stand up to the task at hand. The real test is what will the decision makers do if things don't go as they thought. You will see what I mean when I get some photos of the said base. We are going camping!!! Who has the beer!?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Buddy, Amy and I are just getting caught up on the adventures. Try to keep the AK toting surreal moments in check!! Glad to hear all is good. Keep your eyes open for a spot that I can come over for an African Hunting Safari.
    Hope you're enjoying the heat, forecast has -1 degree and 15cm of snow for this week!!
    Take care, we'll be checking in again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dude, Yep things are moving along. After the other day if I left the mission tomorrow it would have been more than well worth it. I will look up some safaris for you. Take care and say hay to May(Amy)

    ReplyDelete