Finally.... the last week has felt like a month. I think if I hear one more person say... "Sudan is the largest country in Africa"... I am going to whip a goat... harshly! I knew that months ago, tell me something new.
We have had about thirty lectures in the last week to fullfill our induction mission training. This is on top of the two weeks we had in Ottawa that covered everything that was covered here in the last week. And in the last week we have had some sessions two and three times( I stopped counting after three anyways). Well the bright side is that I am well educated about the goings in the mission.... yeah that's it, that's it. Or is that I am well rested?
Anyways we are finished with training and waiting to be posted. Like I said previously I am goinng to Abyei. It is on the border between Northern Sudan and Southern Sudan, and I mean right on the border. So it is considered an area of "special " interest as far as UNMIS goes. There was a lot of heavy fighting here as recently as last summer. The area is inhabitied by peolpe that identify with both parts of Sudan, ie the north mostly muslim part and the south mostly african tribes. This is a very basic description but gives one a slight idea about the tensions in the region. Add to this that most of the oil in Sudan and it sounds like there is a lot of it, is located near this region.
Abyei is actually going to have its own referendum whether it wants to be Northern or Southern. Interesting times lay ahead and it is cause for some great challenges in this mission. Very excited to get into it.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

KIRK!!! did you know that Sudan is the largest country in Africa? Please post picture of you whipping a goat - the kids would love to see.
ReplyDeleteHolly
xo
......one can NEVER be too prepared, better safe than sorry, know it like the back of your hand, commit it to memory. I would have you go through it all again Kirk just to see you whip that goat.
ReplyDeleteYeh it is the largest but can you name all the tribes that populate Southern Sudan and other that large oil reserves not yet tapped or few drilled wells can you name the precious stones mined in the largest---.
Keep it coming Kirk.
Hugs from Shar.
Holly!!! you made it welcome, now if only Heather can signed up and post comments. I am working on that photo for you guys.
ReplyDeleteThe one of me whipping a goat that is
ReplyDeletekirk,
ReplyDeletestay safe
webster
I am worried that you will be there so long that the goat will start looking good. Don't whip it too badly:-)))
ReplyDeleteWebster
Hey Webster!! Good to hear from you. Don't worry the goats here are way to skinny for me. How are you keeping, got your sea legs yet?
ReplyDelete