I got back to Abyei on the 04Jun so 2 days ago... with all my bags thank you very much(one of them was a little late getting to Khartoum from Frankfurt, 24 hrs to be exact). Not much has changed in Abyei in the last couple of weeks it is still sunny and hot but not as hot as in Khartoum and there hasn't been much rain.
I am gathering that "things" are slightly more tense now but calm in the area. There is another big decision coming down from The Hague. An arbitration court there will be making a decision sometime in July on a border dispute in this area. So the two sides here have been positioning themselves to respond to that decision. We will have to wait and see what that response will be.
The helicopter landed in Abyei at about 10:55 am and by 3 pm I found out that we had a new Sector Commander and a new Deputy Sector Commander. The new sector commander is a great guy easy to get along with, he is a police superintendant from Ghana and has his head in the right the spot. The problem is the new deputy sector commander... oh man this guy is going to be problems. Actually Iam just kidding around. I am the new deputy sector commander for UNMIS Sector 6 Abyei. How do like that? I have been here 2 and half months and this is my third job, hmm?? I am still doing the RR thing for now and might be for awhile, the new job took affect immediately but nothing has come down about the old one. I came over for a challenge and a challenge I have been handed. It is very exciting. I am really looking forward to working with the new boss we get along great actually he gets along great with everyone. I am always wary about stating people's names on this blog until I a have talked with them about it so for now he is the "new boss".
So I have some busy days and months ahead I am hoping keep up with the blog for the entire nine months that I am here regardless of what my job is so stay tuned folks.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Kirk! Congrats on the promotion! Do you get a pay raise?...he he he. Happy to hear you made it home and back safely, was thinking of you and the time you must be cherishing with your family. Take Care, Trina
ReplyDeleteHey Trina, how are you? Good to here from you. Thanks a lot... things like that happen really fast it's all good though
ReplyDelete