So I am still here... that is to say, I have forgotten about the blog. It has been a while since I posted anything, the reason two fold, first the web connection here has blown big time since I have been back and secondly, I am bored. Yes I know, new job why am I bored, well I am still trying to get it defined somewhat for me as to what I am going to be doing. What I think I am going to be doing is my old job most of the time and this new command position as a back up. I am not sure though. What I do know is that I am not outside doing patrols as much and being in a state of placid suspension doesn't really thrill me. I will have to change something.
So that's my job situation, blaaahhh. For now. As far as news from the area, well we are all sitting around the collective camp fire biting our nails waiting for the 22nd of July 2009. That's when I take my next CTO, and hopefully, I pray to you know who, that I am heading home for 23 days. But of course I am the only one thinking about that here. Everyone else is thinking about another milestone decision from The Hague regarding the Abyei area.
As I have said before Abyei sits smack in between what is considered Northern Sudan and Southern Sudan, basically the sides that have been at war for the past several decades. Since the signing of the peace agreement there has been a dispute as to what the boundaries of Abyei are and should be. So the decision was placed in the hands of an arbitration court in The Hague who will be announcing the decision on or around the 22nd of July 2009.
Now this is an extremely hot political potatoe and of course both sides want the decision to favour them. The problem is that there is a lot of "manuevering" on both sides to prevent the other from unilaterally deciding what the borders are going to be. Plainly Abyei is being squished by two forces that don't have a history of diplomacy with each other. Needless to say things are tense and the next month and a half is going to be quite interesting around here.
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment