Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Countdown Is On


Well it is less that two weeks now to the announcement from the PCA (Permanent Court of Arbitration) in the Hague that settles once and for all the disputed borders of the Abyei Roadmap Area.
Because of this impending ruling UNMIS in Abyei has taken a more robust stance. It is now using APC's to patrol the area, sending them out to the populated centres as well as in Abyei itself.
In addition to a stronger military presence there is a lot more dignitary presence in Abyei. Almost everyday from now until the final date for the decission is filled with VIP's and upper echelon types arriving in the area. Yesterday it was the UN SRSG from Khartoum, he is the head guy for the whole mission, the UNITED NATIONS representative/envoy in Sudan. Today it was the South Sudanese President and VP of GOS (Government of Sudan) Mr. Salva Kiir, a very popular figure with the people in this area. From what I understand he well respected by both sides in Sudan. And of course with these figures comes reems of assistants and what-nots.
So it goes without saying that the last week or so has been very busy. I have been at the office responding to questions on email from the brass (and you can drop the first two letters if you want) on things that we send daily, weekly and quarterly reports on until all hours of the night.
Anyways regardless of all the hours I spend staring at Lotus Notes, yeach!, and typing emails and hitting send, or answering questions on the phone, or running to meetings that I have no idea what they are about (every meeting has an acronym that not many people know the meaning of.. I have asked..ASC, ASC(that's not a typo there are two of them), PoC, SMM, AJMC, ASMT, CJMC, AWSG, ACG) and these are the ones that I am not invited to, just kidding, but I do know what they all stand for. Despite running around doing all this "stuff" that really isn't me, it is quite amazing to be part of something so important and historical, and I am at the helm, so to speak because the actual Sector Commander is away on holidays. It's a small ship in a huge armada but here I am staring across the bow spit at all these huge waves, and it's ok... so far. I think. And above all it is still exciting.

3 comments:

  1. From Michaela and Camden: "Oh daddy you look so silly in the picture of you sitting in your box [container]. That UN vehicle looks so weird. We went in one like that on Canada Day with the Meaford soldiers"
    From Rylan: "I love you Daddy. I want Jason Mraz [meaning utube video of I'm yours, which the kids love, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhrYHmUPn0]
    From Heather: While your two week countdown is on the Hague decision ours is on whether you can get out of the country safely if/when things don't go as they hope. Stay safe Kirk. Love you. Heather (and the kids) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys thanks for the message, you know I get my silliness from you guys right? I was never silly before.

    You have to help me here Heather Jason who? I tried the link but didn't see anything with that name on it, Love you all very much and keep you fingers cross with me for the 22Jul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey. Jason Mraz. He's a big hit in our house right now, mostly with Camden and Rylan. They love this video. Try it again here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYhrYHmUPn0 but if not utube Jason Mraz I'm yours, it's the one with EBS live in Korea (a pic of his face singing).

    ReplyDelete